Friday, March 23, 2012

Common Misused Words Among Writers Pt. 2

In my last post, I talked about how I'd read an article listing the top misused words of the English language.  The article I read discussed how a writer's skills can be discredited by making those common mistakes.

Today, I read another article on Ezine listing another list of words that writers often seem to misuse.  The list is posted below.

affect vs. effect
affect – To have an effect on; make a difference to; an emotion or desire.
Incorrect: Chocolate effects my behavior.
Correct: Chocolate affects my behavior.
effect – To bring about; to cause something to happen; a change that is a result of an action or cause.
Incorrect: Chocolate has an incredible affect on behavior.
Correct: Chocolate has an incredible effect on behavior.

allot vs. a lot
allot – To give or to apportion something to someone as a share or a task.
Incorrect: I will a lot 3 prizes to the winners.
Correct: I will allot 3 prizes to the winners.
a lot – (never alot) A large amount, very many; also, very much.
Incorrect: I like monkeys allot. There are alot of them at the zoo.
Correct: I like monkeys a lot. There are a lot of them at the zoo.
Please note the context of a piece of land or lot, as in “a lot”, is also acceptable; however, it’s not a common usage error.

then vs. than
then – At that time; at the time in question; after that, next, afterward.
Incorrect: I went to the zoo and than to the park.
Correct: I went to the zoo and then to the park.
than – Used in expressions when introducing an exception or contrast.
Incorrect: Bob is shorter then Ralph.
Correct: Bob is shorter than Ralph.

lie vs. lay
lie – To be in or assume a horizontal or resting position; the way, direction, or position in which something lies.
Please note we will not be discussing “lie”, i.e. to tell a falsehood or to fib, because it’s not a common usage error.
Incorrect: I am going to lay down for a nap.
Correct: I am going to lie down for a nap.
lay – To put down (generally carefully or gently); the general appearance of an area.
Incorrect: I am going to lie the baby down for a nap.
Correct: I am going to lay the baby down for a nap.

desert vs. dessert
desert – To abandon; a dry, barren area of land; barren.
Incorrect: The nomads desserted the dessert in search of water.
Correct: The nomads deserted the desert in search of water.
dessert – The sweet course at the end of the meal.
Incorrect: Did you see this low-fat and delicious desert recipe?
Correct: Did you see this low-fat and delicious dessert recipe?

Again, hopefully this list helps to make you more aware of common mistakes writers make, and gives you a clear understanding of how they can be avoided.

Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment