Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Discovering Your Personal Writer's Mission

As a new writer, I felt lost.  I knew I had a passion to pen words, but I had no clue where I actually fit.  I had a plethora of questions.  What type of writer would I be?  Should I be serious or comic? Would I write about life?  About motherhood?  Fiction? Marriage? Politics? Should I choose one genre and stick to that one alone?  Who would be my target audience?  Should I write solely for women?  Men?  Children?  I was all over the place.

After racking my brain and stressing myself out over my million questions, I came up with something that calmed all of my anxieties, and set the foundation for me as a writer.  I call it My Writer's Mission:


I will be the type of writer who is passionate about what I do, and writes from my heart no matter the subject, and I will fit wherever I am received.  I will be myself, and allow my unique personality to shine through the words that I pen.  I will write about whatever moves my heart and will encourage, educate, and empower those who read it, and I will not force my pen to create words I do not believe in.  I will not put myself, or my abilities, into a box, but will allow my creativity as a writer to take my readers to places they're mind will always remember. That's the type of writer I'll be - one that is passionate and pure.


With that mission embedded upon my heart, I embarked upon my endeavor as a writer with a solid foundation, and it has proved to keep me grounded and focused.

A lot of times, especially in the world of the arts, it can be overwhelming when trying to figure out where your unique craft fits, or how you will present it.  If you're anything like me, you'll go back and forth in your mind over-thinking and over-analyzing every little detail.  And, if you're not careful, you'll end up completely lost when it comes to the direction of your writing.  You don't want that to happen, because it's likely that you'll find yourself producing work that you're really not passionate about.  And when your heart isn't into what you do, you won't get the best results.

As a new writer, I urge you to discover your personal writer's mission.  Think about what you like to feel when you read others' work.  You don't want to mimic anyone, but it can serve as a starting point for discovering what you'd want your readers to experience as they read what you've written.  Don't limit yourself to one genre of writing; but by the same token, don't venture out into an area where you totally lack knowledge.  There's nothing worse than a writer who has no clue of what they're talking about.  It will leave your audience confused and dissatisfied with your work, and also discredits you as a writer.  You never want that to happen.

Once you set your writer's mission, don't allow anyone or anything to deter you from it.  Be confident in who you are as a writer, and allow your passion for the craft to direct you.  Your writer's mission will set the tone for all that you do; it's your foundation. With a solid foundation, you're able to build your career as a writer with integrity and intelligence.  You can't go wrong with that.

Happy Writing!





4 comments:

  1. Thanks. I'm in a writing course now. So, hopefully what you just posted and what I'm beginning to grasp in my writing course will both benefit me. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keisha, this helps me, too. I'm a mom with two children under two. I was layed off from an engineering job that I did for five years AFTER the four years of engineering education I wasn't passionate about at all. I did it for the money. My passion always was with writing.
    I'm off on a tangent and I apologize, but I read your articles on www.eewmagazine.com and they're very uplifting. I see that God has blessed you as a writer and you've been faithful to God with them. I hope to do the same or rather be the same as you.
    I just wanted to say thanks and I wish you much success in the future.

    -Dana in D.C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana!

      Thanks so much for stopping by. I am so glad that this post helps you. I'll be sending up prayers concerning your desire for writing. I'm sure the Lord has some wonderful plans for your life!

      By the way, thank you for reading my column in EEW Magazine. I appreciate the support.

      Blessings,
      LaKeisha

      Delete
  3. Lakeisha,

    Thank you for your honesty and fresh perspective in this post. I have dealt with the same thoughts regarding what I want to write, who I want to target, etc, etc. But after reading your post, I realize that I just need to calm my thoughts and write about what comes from the heart (as the Holy Spirit directs me). I have a degree in English but have been a stay at home mother of 4 sons for the past 12 years. I have only held 1 professional writing job (technical writing) since graduating many years ago. Though I can do that type of writing, I prefer a writing outlet that allows for more creative expression. In the last few years, I have edited a book and started a school newsletter. I recently started an inspirational blog with my husband and really enjoy this type of writing. I am working (s-l-o-w-l-y) on a memoir and have interests in freelance writing as well. I sense the Lord has something more for me in the area of writing and He is preparing me now. I will use your suggestions as a starting point to think about my personal mission as a writer!

    ReplyDelete