Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Aspiring Writers: Overcoming Fear




What if no one likes my work and I fail as a writer?

Fear was the #1 factor holding me back from stepping out into the world of writing. Although deep inside I knew the gift and the desire was within me, I was so afraid of failing and not being accepted, that I didn’t write anything for a long time. I was aware that the Lord had given me messages of hope to share with others, but fear told me that no one would want to read anything I had to say. And for years I believed just that. But I really had to grasp the words of 1 Timothy 1:7, which say “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power…” Every time fear came knocking on the doors of my mind, I had to remind myself of its truth, and sometimes, I simply had to do it afraid. I made up in my mind that although I hoped my work would be received by others, I’d write whatever the Lord placed on my heart, and leave it at that.

See, you have to learn to be okay with the validation the Lord gives. At the end of the day, His is only one that truly matters. Yes, we all want to be accepted, but even in rejection, if you’re doing what you’ve been called to do, there’s no way you can fail. Fear is not real – or maybe it is – but it doesn’t have to control you and stop you from reaching your destiny as a writer. Give fear the boot, and trust that you’ve been empowered with all you need to be one of the Lord’s successful scribes.

Do it afraid!

Writer’s Affirmation: The spirit of fear no longer has rule over me, and I am empowered by the Holy Spirit to operate in the gifts the Lord has given me. I am free to write, and from this day forward I will do so to the glory of the Lord.

*Excerpt from "3 Mental Hurdles to Bulldoze from Your Mind", LRC Editing's FREE resource for aspiring writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment