Monday, February 18, 2013

Aspiring Writers: Tips To Help You Push Through Writing Challenges


I recently met a writing goal that I've been working towards for about 3 weeks.  I'm so excited that I finally got it done!  But that excitement didn't come easily.  When I first knew that I needed to complete this particular project, I thought it would be simple and quickly accomplished.  I was dead wrong.


I agonized over it for weeks.  Many days, I stared at an empty Word document while searching every corner of my brain for the right words to write.  Nothing.  Crickets.  Empty thoughts.

I became so discouraged, and disappointed in myself for not being able to expediently or efficiently conquer this simple task in the time-frame I originally predicted.  "I know I'm a good writer.  I don't understand why something this simple is so challenging for me"  I thought to myself as I clinched my teeth and fists, and looked towards the heavens.

Understanding that giving up was not an option and I had to get the project done, I knew that pushing through my mental roadblocks was a must.  I also had to realize that although I may be good at what I do, that does not guarantee that every writing task I take on or deem simple is going to come easy for me.

The same applies to you as a new writer.

Each time you sit down to write will not be an easy, breezy task.  You will face challenges.  But that's no reason to question your ability as a writer, or become so frustrated that you give up.

As a Christian, prayer is always my saving grace whenever I find myself facing challenges.  As a Christian writer, it's no different.  Asking for God's help when writing becomes a challenge is a given for me, but there are also practical things that I turn to whenever I find myself stuck.


  1. Research the topic.  Google is often my best friend.  With one click, there is loads of information on whatever topic I need.  It's okay to look at other examples of what you're trying to do.  It doesn't mean that you plagiarize anyone else's work, but seeing other samples can serve as a bit of inspiration, and give you a clearer picture of how to complete your task at hand.  Use the internet to your advantage.
  2. Ask for help.  Asking for help doesn't always come easy for me; however, I'm learning that, if you just ask, others are willing to help you.  If you have other writer-friends, especially those with years of experience, ask them to help you.  Pick their brain for tips and ideas to help you stretch your mind.  Soliciting help does not discredit you as a writer, neither does it diminish the greatness of your gift; it actually makes you better.
  3. Keep writing.  Whatever you do, don't stop writing.  Even if your thoughts don't seem to come together, keep writing.  It's okay to take a break; I recommend it.  Taking a break gives your mind time to relax and refresh.  But after a short recess, get back to brainstorming and writing down your thoughts.  Eventually it will all come together.
Writing is a journey, and it's filled with ups and down.  Today you may feel creative enough to pen book after book after book, and tomorrow you may feel like just writing your name is a challenge.  But that's okay.  It's good to be challenged, because it pushes you beyond your current level of comfort.  So the next time you find yourself challenged by a writing piece, don't fret...just pray, research the topic, ask for help, and keep writing.

Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment